© All rights reserved – by Walrus62
Chambers Pillar was shaped from sandstone deposited and worn down over 350 million years. It was an vital landmark guiding the area’s earliest pioneers on their manner from Adelaide to Alice Springs. John MacDouall Stuart first recorded the pillar in 1860 and named it after James Chambers, one among his South Australian sponsors.
The native Aboriginal individuals consider that the pillar is the Gecko ancestor Itirkawara. Banished for taking a spouse from the fallacious pores and skin group, he retreated into the desert. Once they stopped to relaxation they was outstanding rocky formations – Itirkawara into the pillar, and the lady into Fortress Rock, 500m to the north-east.
Situated 160 kilometres South of Alice Springs, within the Simpson Desert. 50 Metres in top.